Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Choosing An Amp

If you do a little bit of shopping, you will notice that some guitar shops sells a guitar and an amp together as a package. While this would deem as a bang for the bucks, i would often not recommend it. Why? Very often, you may get a better guitar but the amp would suck.

I had a friend who bought such packages a few years back. He saw such a beginner's package and purchased it. A few weeks later, he wasn't playing his guitar as much as he did when he was just starting out. It made me wondered why. One day, he went to my house to learn some stuff from me. As I had a small, extra practice amp, I told him to just bring his guitar down. So he did. When he plugged in his guitar to my amp, he told me that his guitar sounded great on my amp and wanted to know why. I asked him certain questions about his amp and concluded that his amp do not have a feature called Reverb.

While his guitar is quite a good quality one based on his budget, his amp is rather weak. It doesn't have any Reverb on it. Reverb is an effect that simulates the echo that naturally occurs when a sound is reflected off, for example, a wall. I have to stress that this feature is really important because it helps to color the tone of the guitar to make it sound more richer and livelier. And if you have a better tone, you'll definitely be more inspired to play.

So what's the price range for a decent practice amp you may ask? Depends. Different shop has different price tags but i can safely say that it is usually around $100-$200 bucks.

Below are some of the amps that I would recommend for starters:



Marshall MG15CDR 15 Watt Combo Amp. One of the popular amps for starters. Made by a very famous amplification company. The spring reverb in this amp is amazingly sweet.












Line 6 - Spider III 15 15W Guitar Amp. This amp is great for playing clean as well as metal/rock. It also has quite a number of effects built in, so you're able to explore more kinds of sound with this amp.














Crate XT15R 15W Guitar Combo Amp. For such practice amp, the tone of this amp is great. It also offers 2-channel operation that lets you practice with different setups.










That's about it for amps. I hope you're well informed as to why amps play a crucial role, especially for starters.